Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Costume Portraits in Oil

I just finished a Costume Portrait Painting class at Watts Atelier. The class was taught by Meadow Gist who is not only a fantastic painter but also a great teacher. She provided guidance throughout the term to help her students better understand what we're seeing to better interpret it on canvas. We had a total of three class sessions per model. I thought I would be able to finish each of my paintings within two class sessions, but I quickly learned that I underestimated the details that are required when working with a costumed live model, and I only finished one out of the three paintings within the allotted time (I work slow). The class was a lot of fun and look forward to getting back to the school next term.

Edwardian style wardrobe

Regency style wardrobe (unfinished)


Fantasy wardrobe (unfinished)


Here is the Fantasy Portrait progression. Because I wanted a tighter painting for this one, I used the grid method and a photo of our model. Class time was used mostly for referencing shadow and highlight colors.


No comments: